Destroying Avalon by Kate McCaffrey

05:07:00

Good evening from Australia!

It's a Friday night, and I should probably be doing homework - but instead, I'm writing a blog post!

I've had a plethora of books that have been sitting there, waiting to be reviewed...so now, I'm going to spend the night reviewing the books, then posting them over the next few days (without spamming you all!).

Tonight, I will be reviewing the novel, Destroying Avalon, which I've read twice (once last year, and once at the start of this year).

When Avalon moves to the city, her life is changed forever. From the moment she begins at her new school, she is the subject of increasingly horrible cyber-bullying campaign. She is constantly being hammered with vicious messages and website postings. Believing she has no support network, she becomes isolated from the outside world. As the threats escalate, and target those around her, how far will the bullies go?

Source: THIS WEBSITE

Okay, so this book was nice. It delivers a really powerful message, and it is the perfect book for schools to use in their English or English Lit. classes. However, from my point of view, even though I found it  captivating, I also felt it was a little predictable. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that, as sad as it is, I didn't think it was that shocking.

Despite this, Destroying Avalon was a very well-written book. From the very first page, the author, Kate McCaffrey, creates this state of panic and fear, that automatically makes you want to read more. Here's an excerpt from the chapter:


I took a deep breath and stared at the keyboard again, each letter a menacing silhouette against its stark background. And then the desire to know overcame the bad feeling. Just do it. I watched my fingertips quickly hit the keys that made up my password. I listened to them clunk, clink, clunk, clink, each letter with its slightly different tone. The two icon figures twirled and twisted together, like dancers, as the page flashed the words Signing In, Signing In, to stop me clicking the mouse too soon. The sense of dread engulfed me. This was going to be very bad. 

Doesn't that make you want to read MORE and MORE and MORE?
Kate McCaffrey creates these characters that you can easily love or hate. Which makes a specific point in the story (I don't want to spoil) VERY DIFFICULT TO HANDLE. Even though I personally could see it coming, it still broke my heart.

When Avalon starts at her new school, her nervousness, yet hopes, seeped through the pages of the novel and into my body. I felt so anxious as I flipped through the pages of the chapter. I couldn't help but want to know what happens next, and I felt for Avalon every step of the way.

This book is fantastic for teenagers, because it teaches young adults about the effects cyberbullying can have, and the fact that people believe that they can hide behind their computer screens. This novel is also perfect for parents and teachers to read, if they want to understand the dark side of the internet.

RATING: ★★★☆☆

Love, Tyra ❤❤



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Here:

The owner of this blog is not compensated to give their opinion on the literature, websites, and/or various other topics that are reviewed. The views that are expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. The owner of this blog does not own any of the pictures posted on here, unless stated otherwise.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *